Thursday, May 15, 2008

I love it when you rush-inhale.

You know what I find sexy? That sharp intake of breath you hear just before a singer sings a verse, especially if the verses are close together. It's usually only audible on studio recordings, since in live shows, the microphones are rarely that sensitive. I get a little thrill every time I hear it, particularly if the song is emotionally-charged. I cannot really explain why I get such a kick out of this phenomenon, hereby known as 'rush-inhaling'. Shut up, I can't think of anything better at the moment. Also, my attraction to rush-inhaling is gender-neutral. Singers who rush-inhale include Rob Thomas (from Matchbox Twenty), Liam Gallagher (from Oasis), Ingrid Michaelson and MariƩ Digby.

I don't know. There's just something vulnerable, crucial, precarious about it. "I need this breath, and I need it fast. I can't sing this next verse without it. I can't live without it." Oh, God. That's just so incredibly sexy.

P.S.: Damian Kulash from OK Go, especially on the song 'Oh Lately It's So Quiet'.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you heard the sharp intake of breath by Rob Thomas at the beginning of "Long Day" on their first album? Whoa...

++Surunan++ said...

Yes. Yes, indeed I have. It is stupendously awesome. We should discuss this further. =p

Unknown said...

hah.. perv!!

jk, me understand wht ur saying but i think rob thomas over doing it. its either sexy or just simply sappy. i think it depend on the lyrics too lah but i agree that sometimes it can be very sexy.

eg: thom york (radiohead) - creep